Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Newest Outlet

Rachel has been telling me since the beginning of therapy that I need to find outlets for my excess energy, both physical and mental.  We've tried many things, some which have worked, some which have BOMBED.  For some people, running or other forms of exercise work.  With my sciatica, bursitis, and asthma, that doesn't always work well.  Many times, it makes my body ache which makes my depression and anxiety worse.  I have found a wonderful yoga DVD that works wonderfully though.

I've also found that music, books, and cooking all give me ways to focus my energy on something much healthier than the ruminations that would occur otherwise and also give me a sense that I'm accomplishing something.  Still, I'm the type that gets bored easily.  Sometimes, I just need a different outlet.  So, I'm always looking for something, something to keep my mind busy and off all the negative thoughts, some way to channel that mental energy into something good when my body just can't keep up with it.

My newest outlet is Colourlovers.  It is a website that lets you create patterns or color existing patterns.  It keeps my mind focused while allowing me to feel creative.  Also, I can use those patterns to create backgrounds for Twitter and even this blog.  (Yes, this new background is one that I personally created from scratch using Colourlovers.)  Because I can create so many different patterns and styles in so many colors, it keeps me from getting bored as easily.  Also, I love getting messages that others have "loved" my patterns or even used them in their own new colored backgrounds.  It gives me a sense that I'm being helpful, useful, and doing something that brings a smile to the faces of others.

Will Colourlovers stay one of my major outlets?  I'm not sure, but for right now, I'm greatly enjoying it.

So, what are your favorite outlets?

(To find me at Colourlovers, look for Hoosier_Kat.)

9 comments:

  1. This post brought a tear to my eye. You are very talented, Kat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...Nah, I just have a lot of time on my hands. *snort*

      Actually, if I had to draw these out by hand, they would look quite different, and NOT in a good way. Still, I love being able to use my creativity to take simple little shapes and turn them into something beautiful. It really does give me the greatest feeling.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is beautiful. I love the pattern on your blog! What a wonderful "outlet"! I can understand why you would find this creative and helpful! I'm going to check out the website later. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. Some people craft, but that brings up a lot of anxiety for me. Just too much of a mess! So this gives me the same type of thing, without the mess. LOL

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. This is one of my favorite patterns I've created. I actually made it with my blog in mind.

      Delete
  4. Hello, Kat--

    I have nominated you for the HUG (Hope Unites Globally) Award. You can find out more about the award by going to http://ahopefortoday.com/2012/01/14/hope-unites-globally-hug-award-guidelines/.

    Please also check out my blog post about the nomination!
    http://bringingalongocd.blogspot.com/2012/03/spreading-hope.html

    Congratulations! You deserve it!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I nominated you for a sunshine award:
    http://snowflakes-stardust.blogspot.com/2012/04/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Kat, I stumbled accross your blog and it has helped to find another who also suffers from PTSD and has family issues. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment below. Feel free to share your stories and struggles with anxiety or those of your loved ones. Please show respect when doing so. : )